Flexible | Online | No GRE Required | CAHME accredited
Application Process, Requirements, and Deadlines
For further information or to make a virtual or in-person appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. To join us for an information session, please click here for our upcoming session schedule.
Stony Brook online Master of Health Administration Program Application Requirements
- Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA or better. In select circumstances, students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement but are deemed an appropriate fit for the Program through the holistic evaluation of their application may be admitted conditionally upon approval by the MHA Program Admissions Committee.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools. Transcripts for all degrees earned in schools outside the U.S. or Canada must be evaluated by an agency accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. See the section for International Applicants for more information about this process. The requirement for evaluation of transcripts is waived for graduates of foreign medical schools with a current license to practice in the U.S.
- Three references from persons who can address the applicant's capacity to provide leadership in healthcare administration and complete a course of graduate study. If the applicant is a student or has graduated within the last two years, at least one letter must be from a college or university faculty member with whom the applicant has studied. If the applicant is a member of the healthcare workforce, at least one letter must be from a senior administrator in the organization who is familiar with his/her work.
- Applicants must submit a brief essay of 500 words or less, discussing how their background, training, and experience prepare them for leadership roles in Health Administration.
- Resume or CV.
The Admissions Committee considers all factors including grades, recommendation letters, essays, prior training, and professional experience. It is a goal of the Admissions Committee to select applicants who have the academic capability, aptitude, character, personal qualities, and commitment to provide future value to society through leadership and creative contributions to the field of Healthcare Administration.
Students are not required to submit GRE or GMAT scores to apply but are welcome to submit these for consideration if you have limited quantitative undergraduate coursework. Scores should be no more than five years old and should be transmitted directly from the testing agency. Please use our program code: 2683.
Additional information for International Applicants
- Unfortunately, our program is not STEM-designated, therefore we cannot offer OPT extension at this time.
- Due to visa processing times, international students should apply to the Program in Public Health's MHA or MPH programs by April 15th.
- Transcripts for all degrees earned in schools outside the U.S. or Canada are required to have a course-by-course educational credential evaluation completed by an agency accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). We require the use of World Education Services (WES). This evaluation provides a U.S. course equivalent including semester hours earned, course content, and corresponding letter grade for all courses listed on the international applicant’s transcript. This evaluation must be completed before the application can be considered for admission. The requirement for evaluation of transcripts is waived for graduates of foreign medical schools with a current license to practice in the U.S.
- International applicants who trained in non-English speaking schools and do not reside in an English-speaking country are required to take either the TOEFL or IELTS exam. Students whose scores on either of these exams are more than two years old must retake the test. The expected minimum score is for the IELTS exam is 7, with no subsection below 6. The expected minimum score on the TOEFL Internet Based Test is 90.
- Other English Proficiency tests may be acceptable and can be found in the Graduate School Bulletin. This link will also provide the English Proficiency Requirements for Admission by Stony Brook University.
- For more information about international student services, please visit the SBU Visa and Immigration website.