The mission of the MPH Health Policy and Management Concentration is to develop foundational proficiency in health management knowledge, skills, and abilities among aspiring public health professionals. Our students learn from a dynamic faculty who value research and innovative methods to facilitate excellence in the learning of health management and population health competencies. Graduates will be prepared to contribute to the health sector with enhanced policy, management, and leadership skills.
Courses in this concentration address economics, law, finance, policy, and the principles of management.
Required Courses (12 credits)
Required for all students in the Health Policy and Management Concentration:
HPA 529: Fundamentals of Healthcare Management
HPA 510: Health Finance and Accounting
HPA 536: Health Law and Compliance
HPA 527: Health Economics and Policy
For the Health Policy and Management Plan of Study, click here.
For the Health Policy and Management Advising Sheet, click here.
Students planning to complete this concentration in conjunction with a dual-degree (MAPP, MBA, MD, MS Nutrition, MSW) should speak with the Assistant Director for Student Affairs. Credits to complete the dual degree may be greater than that of other MPH concentrations.
The MPH Program is accredited by CEPH, and the Concentration in Health Policy and Management is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) as a secondary modality of the MHA Program. As such, students are assessed using two competency models.
The MPH HPM Concentration maintains five overarching goals to guide programmatic development. Each overarching goal has a series of corresponding sub-goals and benchmarks which inform assessment, data sharing, and continuous quality improvement initiatives. The overarching goals are provided below:
- The MPH HPM Concentration at Stony Brook Medicine will attract students from the larger MPH student body with a seriousness of purpose for studying health policy and management topics.
- The MPH HPM Concentration at Stony Brook Medicine will provide a high-quality, competency-based educational experience to all students.
- The MPH HPM Concentration at Stony Brook Medicine will participate in professional development, research, scholarship and service to advance the field of healthcare management education.
- The MPH HPM Concentration at Stony Brook Medicine will foster and maintain an environment that is inclusive, equitable, and welcoming for all.
- Graduates of the MPH HPM Concentration at Stony Brook Medicine will be prepared to contribute to the public health or health services sector with enhanced policy, management, and leadership skills.
*This is the approved curriculum for the Fall 2019 entering class. Students who entered prior to Fall 2019 should speak with the Associate Director for Student and Academic Affairs about their plan of study.