- Primary applications are accepted through SOPHAS, the centralized application service for schools and programs of public health.
- For Admissions Deadlines, click here.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA or better. Admitted students usually have GPAs that are higher than 3.0.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools. Transcripts for all degrees earned in schools outside the U.S. or Canada must be evaluated by an agency accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. See section on International applicants for more information about this process. The requirement for evaluation of transcripts is waived for graduates of foreign medical schools with a current license to practice in the U.S.
- Official GRE (verbal, quantitative, and analytical) scores are required. Please use the Stony Brook institution code (2548) to report your GRE scores. Do not use the Stony Brook - SOPHAS code. Waivers and substitutions are made on a case by case basis. Such requests should be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three references from persons who can address the applicant's capacity to complete a course of graduate study.
- A Cover Letter is required for the primary
application. It should be no more than 500 words and should be submitted
with your application in SOPHAS (under Statement of Purpose and
Cover Letter should describe your research interest area(s).
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the available funding opportunities.
- Your Cover Letter should describe your research interest area(s).
- Completion of the on-line application.
- A personal interview, if requested by the Research Mentor Matching committee, will be scheduled. We will begin scheduling interviews in February.
Additional information for international applicants:
- International applicants who trained in non-English speaking schools and do not reside in an English speaking country are required to take either the TOEFL or IELTS exam. Students who fail to meet this requirement must enroll in a course at the Intensive English Center and achieve satisfactory grades before admission to graduate study. Students whose scores on either of these exams are more than two years old must retake the test. The expected minimum score is for the IELTS exam is 7, with no subsection below 6. The expected minimum score on the TOEFL Internet Based Test is 90.
- International students are required to have a course-by-course educational credential evaluation completed by an agency accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (http://www.naces.org). We require using World Education Services (http://www.wes.org). This evaluation provides a U.S. course equivalent including semester hours earned, course content, and corresponding letter grade for all courses listed on the international applicant’s transcript. This evaluation must be completed before the application can be considered.
- For more information about international students services, see: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/visa/